There IS a GPS chip inside the wifi PlayBook.
From iFixit’s teardown, look at Step 7, front view of the motherboard:
BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown – iFixit
Among other chips, iFixit sees this chip:
- Texas Instruments WL1283 WLAN/Bluetooth/FM
This chip contains a GPS decoder.
iFixit doesn’t say so, but look at TI’s webpage describing the WL1283:
Wireless LAN, WLAN Solutions for Mobile Wireless Devices â€“ TI.com
High-performance GPS core
- Best-in-class 3GPP test performance
- Multi-path resolution engine coupled with advanced algorithms reduces interference impact for more accurate positioning in urban canyons
- On-chip position engine simplifies integration with device host processor
- Supports reduced power consumption during tracking
- Host-independent location buffering and geo-fencing features further reduce host loading and power consumption
There’s even a FM radio!
- Increased output power for FM transmit combined with highly sensitive FM receive delivers cleaner FM experience
- Supports internal antenna
So we’ve got the GPS hardware in our PlayBooks. Now we’re just waiting for RIM to get the OS / drivers working so our favorite software can actually get GPS fixes.
Discussion/Download: There IS a GPS chip in the Wifi PlayBook!
- playbook gps not working, gps playbook not working, ti1283, gps on playbook not working, gps not working on playbook, is there gps on playbook, blackberry playbook gps chip, gps for playbook, gps not working in playbook, playbook gps antenna, gps sur playbook, blackberry playbook gps chipset, blackberry playbook wifi chip, how to get gps working on playbook, playbook gps not working 2013